Sunday, August 8, 2010

It took me a week

So maybe I'm just that naive, but it took me a week to figure out that someone broke into my car.  My badge for work has been missing all week.  It's always in the same spot in my car, in the little curve above the cup holders.  I last saw it last Saturday night. 

On Monday morning, I realized I didn't have it when I pulled into work.  I figured it must've fallen under one of the seats but didn't really have time to go searching for it.  Tuesday morning--same thing, no time.  Wednesday was a LONG day.  I got to work early to set up for a friend's surprise baby shower and was able to sneak around a long line of cars to get into work without my badge.  Thursday--stomach bug.  Didn't go anywhere.  Friday -- no badge.  Couldn't take it anymore.  Parked.  Crawled under seats.  Stuck my hand into dark and sticky places.  Ripped open glove compartment and saw that it was EMPTY.  Completely empty, except for a little angel that my mom gave me when I got my first car.  I panicked.  I walked around my car and opened the trunk, and it was still full.  Full of all the random crap that's been collecting in there since last winter.  Looked in my backseat:  Sweatshirt, Whole Foods bags, carseat, random toys (for when I babysit). 

I sat back down in my front seat.  So what exactly was missing?  My owner's manual, insurance card, and candy.  And maybe some napkins.  Would somebody really take that?  I texted my husband to see if maybe he took the candy out of my glove compartment (and the owner's manual along with it?).  When I got home from work, we called the police, and the guy basically laughed at us when he showed up.  Nothing valuable was missing, my car had no damage, we didn't even know when or where it could have happened! 

I insisted that it had to have happened last Sunday, when I was at stop & shop.  Because I know I saw the badge on Saturday, and I didn't have it on Monday.  And i am SO OCD about locking my car at home, since I leave it on the street for days.  And then I remembered:  I ran into Stop & shop quickly last sunday, because we only needed a few things.  When I came out, I saw a woman standing by my passenger door.  She looked at me and took off.  I loaded up the trunk and sat down in the driver's seat.  Unnerved by her presence, I thought she might have hit my car door.  I walked around the car and looked the door up and down.  I didn't see anything, so I drove away.  And now it makes sense.  That bitch must have been in my car!!  Must have taken my candy, my badge, and my owner's manual!  If I hadn't come back, she probably would have taken more!! 

It took me a week, but i figured it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment